I send out, on average, 80 letters each week to Out of State Owners and addresses that we get from driving for dollars. I get the mailing addresses from the tax records, clean them up a bit and then import the list into SI Lead Manager so I can print out the letters. The process works pretty good.
Normally I would get 2 to 3 returned envelopes each week for a variety of reasons…
- No Such Address
- Left No Forwarding Address
- Person No Longer Lives At Address
I never really worried about these and just made note of them in my records so I can come back later and see what was going on and correct what I could. Recently however, I have been getting back more and more of my letters. A couple weeks ago I got 6 letters back and two weeks ago I got 8 letters back. Still not really enough to worry about.
Well, yesterday I received 19! “Undeliverable” letters back from a mailing of 130 pieces. I got home late from my mastermind meeting last night so I didn’t get a chance to research why this happened but this is worrisome I think.
My eventual plan is to correct these addresses (if I can) and re-mail them, but has anyone ever gotten roughly 15% of their mailers returned? Hopefully I’m not pissing off the USPS and they are just starting to return a mail piece with minor errors like using “St” instead of “Rd”. That would Suck!
Reasons for Keeping Returned Mail
For those just getting started sending out mailers, make sure you keep track of which letters got returned to you. You are probably not the only investors trying to reach these home owners and the harder it is to reach these people, the less likely the other investors are going the extra mile like you should. Here are a few reasons why you should keep track for Returned Mail…
- So you don’t waste postage sending letters to the address again
- So you can investigate and turn up a valid mailing address
- You can keep statistics for how many have been returned
- By keeping track of the reason for return, you can possibly discover a flaw and correct it for future mailings.
- Make Calls and Send Texts in Podio using smrtPhone - April 26, 2019
- Email Marketing with Podio and ConvertKit: Dealing with Unsubscribes - February 27, 2019
- Email Marketing With Podio and ConvertKit: Multiple Sequences - February 12, 2019