I’m a fairly laid back person. The thought of an angry lead (for what ever reason) hunting me down at my home never really bothered me. What are the chances right? Who would take the time out of their busy schedule to confront a person who sent them a letter in the mail box?
My friend Jerry Puckett (who sends out 100’s of thousands of direct mail pieces) always says…
…Do they get mad at Best Buy for sending them mail and go to their local store and threaten the manager?…
Like most of you, I have heard stories of angry leads coming to investor’s homes. I guess you can’t be too careful. The way to protect yourself from this is to get a business address.
Top 4 Reasons to get a Business Mailing Address
For the first 4 years of my business I always shrugged my shoulders at the idea of getting a business address. I was okay with using my home address on direct mail.
However my SEO guy recently convinced me it was in my best interest as a real estate investor. After doing some more research on my own, there are legitimate reasons why getting a business address is a good idea.
1. Search Engine Rankings. With a business address you can get listed with Google Local. By doing this your business gain credibility in the eyes of Google. This credibility will give your websites more power…thus ranking higher!
2. Greater Division of your Private and Business Worlds. As my business grows it has become harder to sort out what’s business and private. From expenses to mail delivery everything used to be commingled. Having separate bank accounts and separate addresses really helps.
3. Protection and Privacy. You have a home-bases business, but would rather not give out your home address to complete strangers. You can’t be too careful. Your family’s safety is most important.
4. Legitimate Looking Business Address. Your small business can rent a commercial “suite” address on Main Street for just a few dollars per month. This commercial address can be used on your business cards and letterhead, giving your small business a “step up” from a residential street address that can scare off potential leads.
Getting a Business Address
There are a variety of ways you can obtain a business mailing address. Some expensive and some not so expensive. I prefer the not so expensive options.
Rent an office space. This by far will provide you with the most expensive option. The advantage however is that you get an office away from home where you can do work. Also it’s a great place to meet with clients.
Rent an Office from a local business. Many businesses these days have offices/desk space that they aren’t using. Try going up to a local business and ask if they would rent out an office/desk space. You could probably negotiate a great rate. There is also a chance you could get it for free. It doesn’t look good for a business to have a lot of empty desks.
Get a USP PO Box. This was my first thought. At $10 a month (or less if you pay for a full year) it is very very cheap. However there are problems with PO Boxes used for small businesses…
- No Street Address which gives your direct mail less credibility (Think Junk Mail)
PO Box 123
Anytown, NJ 09876
- You can’t register a business with a PO Box address
- You can not have UPS or FedEx packages delivered to your PO Box
Get a UPS Store Private Mail Box. This is what I ended up getting. It’s a little more expensive then a PO Box but comes with some key advantages.
- Actual Street Address
123 Main St. #123
Anytown, NJ 09876
- You can register your business using this address
- UPS and FedEx packages can be delivered to your PMB
- Get email or text notifications when you have mail
Get a Virtual Mail Box. I had no idea something like this existed until I was doing research about renting a mail box. Here are the features of this service…
- They provide you with a local address
- Forward your mail to your home
- Mail and packages received and signed for
- Even discounts on day office, meeting rooms & video conferencing
- Some will even email you scanned copies of your mail.
A few of the options are…
I have no experience with any of these and there seems to be a ton more options. I’ve heard that while these services sound great you have to make sure you are using a reliable company. They tend to go out of business quite often. So if you choose to go this route then see how long they’ve been in business, first.