My blog has opened the door for me in a lot of ways when it comes to my real estate investing career. I would have never gotten to this point if some of the great people I have met through my blog hadn’t pushed me and supported me. Having a blog is good in so many ways, but there can be a major draw back depending on how you want to operate your business.
Your Name Can Now Be Found
One of my goals when I started this blog was to help me network with other investors. I wanted investors to find my blog by doing a Google search for “New Jersey Investors”, “Real Estate Investors” and what ever other phrases related to REI. The downside is that anyone can now find out about me simply by searching for my name, even home owners I am marketing to.
The more mailers I send out the more I see my name coming up as a search term in Google Analytics. This is not surprising, as I would do the same thing if I got a random letter in the mail asking if I would sell my unlisted house. Depending on the person, you could lose some deals because of this. I lady recently told my partner that she looked up my name online, found my blog, and said she wouldn’t sell to people like us.
My intent is to always be honest with everyone I’m dealing with, so I have no problem with people finding my blog and deciding I am not the right person for them. To each their own and I applaud them for doing some research.
If you love having a blog, like I do, and want it to not hinder your marketing efforts there are a few ways to get around the above issue.
- Use a fake name on your blog. If you’ve started a blog already this won’t work for you, but is a viable option for investors who are just starting out. Many authors, columnists and alike write under “aliases”
- Use your partners name on your mailers. In my case, my partner handles all the calls so it makes sense to do this. I just have to make sure never to mention his full name on my blog. I may go back and remove his name entirely because I know I’ve used his first name before.
- Has this been an issue with your Investing?
- How do you handle this?
- Do you care that your leads can look your blog up online by searching for your name?
- Make Calls and Send Texts in Podio using smrtPhone - April 26, 2019
- Email Marketing with Podio and ConvertKit: Dealing with Unsubscribes - February 27, 2019
- Email Marketing With Podio and ConvertKit: Multiple Sequences - February 12, 2019